In 1940, when the Otto Kahn Estate was subdivided, approximately 250 of the 443 acre estate was slated for residential development. By the late 1940's, plans were completed for a 306 home community to be called "Cold Spring Hills."
During the late 40's, 50's, and early 60's, a post-war community of colonials, ranches, splits and capes was built in the shadow of Kahn mansion, OHEKA Castle. Several other estate features and structures were preserved including Kahn's legendary golf course, clubhouse and stables (now the Cold Spring Country Club), the greenhouses, (now the Otto Keil Florists), and the main gate house (now European American Realty). Six estate structures consisting of the Superintendent's home, the Caretaker's home, the Creamery, Barn and 2 Servants' Quarters were maintained or restored for residential use. Newer homes were positioned to blend in with these original buildings.
The community was completed in the early 1960's and, as a whole, realized the original vision of its developers, Realty Associates and the Fox Brothers, who eventually came to reside in Cold Spring Hills.
Cold Spring Hills Civic Association, Inc. (CSHCA) was incorporated on September 17, 1956 and adopted its Constitution and Bylaws on March 12,1957. Hence, in 2006, the CSHCA will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary.
The original purpose of the Association, which continues today, is "to promote and stimulate active participation and the civic and social interests in that part of Huntington known as Cold Spring Hills, so that through these efforts and cooperation, the members of the said corporation may effectively influence the welfare and property interests and uphold the vested property rights of the residents of Cold Spring Hills."
The early goals of the CSHCA were to ensure that municipal services such as roads, water, electric and telephone were properly brought into the newly emerging community. Later, as today, the Association's main efforts lie in the protection of the community's history, design, and character, while promoting a strong sense of community spirit.
Original CSHCA Brochure